Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Discursive Practice That Is Addiction

I am finishing up edits on a paper about meth addiction (hopefully someone will publish it, 'cause it's great) and I keep coming back to a joke I heard a long time ago. I really like this joke because it points out a very powerful truth about identity formation and I think illustrates the difficulty one encounters when trying to move away from an identity. Our paper is about identity migration in addicts.

A man walks into a bar. Sits down. Orders a drink. Looks kinda sour.
Bartender says, "What's the matter, buddy?"
Man says, "I been building bridges for 18 years of my life. What would you call me?"
Bartender says, "A bridge builder, right?"
Man says, "Yeah. But y'know, you have sex with one goat and they what do they call ya?"

No comments:

Post a Comment