Friday, August 29, 2008

A Fascinating Article About Racist Rhetoric

So MLK gave his famous speech just over 45 years ago, so that his homophobic family could then sell it to cell phone companies; I am reminded of the "I Have a Dream Speech" because Obama accepted the Democratic Presidential Nomination. I read the speech, it was alright.

I hope that he's the next President (because the only other person that could be is McCain and that spells disaster). By the way, I think that the next "racial issue" will be that group that we call Hispanic or Latino. I think it's going to come in the form of further Immigration Control, which is absurd but happening.

Today I read a fascinating article about the history of American White Supremacist Rhetoric that is currently being used as the legal defense strategy of these black drug lords in Baltimore and I am sharing it with you all because it's amazing. I think that it's a fascinating article because it describes a really prominent feature of our historical moment: the dissolution of the nation-state through the rise of the interest group.

Nation-States are really monolithic, right? They're huge, they don't move around because they are geographically-rooted, when they move it is always in one of two directions: retreat or advance/colonize. Now we have Multinational Corporations, entities that are quite large in a number of measures (Wal-Mart is one of the largest economies in the world), and what we call globalization (itself simply the footprint of the Sasquatch that is sometimes called The System); and we also have organizations like Al-Qaida (unless you're John McCain and insist that it's only related to Muslims, by ignoring all those crazy Christian and Jewish, and any other violent extremist group out there). These groups are like nomads, and here I'm thinking of Deleuze & Guattari's sense of nomads...

Anyways, I'm tiring you out from reading the real meat and potatoes here. The article is a little long, but it's really well-written and a fascinating stage on which to present some complex ideas (although the journalist never even touches on where I'd like to go from here).

Please Read This and Respond: here(or in Japanese, ココ)

No comments:

Post a Comment