Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Thousand Pardons (or, On Getting Into Emory)

I've not been writing here lately, but I can share a little about why:

I am writing. I am writing my admissions materials for a PhD program. Over the past few days I've been revisiting a paper I presented in Seattle last year and I am writing my Statement of Purpose.

I am applying to Emory's Philosophy Department and I'm really sweating it! Emory has an awesome program that is very strong in both Continental and American pragmatic philosophies. I'm particularly interested in working with Cynthia Willett and John Stuhr.

Stuhr is the new department chair, coming from Vanderbilt (a great school featuring David Wood). Were I accepted I'd be all over hearing Stuhr discuss John Dewey's philosophy of experience as critique.

Cynthia Willet is the former department chair at Emory and her work is right up my alley. I recommend you buy her new book Irony in the Age of Empire; you can read a good bit of it here for free. That's right, a philosophical text discussing the implications of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report.

As insipid or trite as this might sound, I'm actually really excited to be among all their faculty. I think that they're doing really interesting work and I feel that I would develop very well in that community. I think their focus on social and political thought from both the Classical American tradition and the Continental tradition would really foster my development and guide me toward civic engagement and Public Philosophy.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Go Paul!!! We want you in ATL soo much!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck, Paul! i imagine you´ll hear back from them in a couple months, i think you have a really innovative and well-rounded background and research project. i´m sure their response will be positive!

    ReplyDelete