Thursday, September 18, 2008

Conservatives for Obama?

I got the heads-up from an econ blog I like to scan, Angry Bear.

The author of the following is now the publisher of The National Review (long-time champion of the conservative movement) and the whole thing is available at D Magazine
THE MORE I LISTEN TO AND READ ABOUT "the most liberal member of the U.S. Senate," the more I like him. Barack Obama strikes a chord with me like no political figure since Ronald Reagan. To explain why, I need to explain why I am a conservative and what it means to me.
....I now see that Obama is almost the ideal candidate for this moment in American history. I disagree with him on many issues. But those don't matter as much as what Obama offers, which is a deeply conservative view of the world. Nobody can read Obama's books (which, it is worth noting, he wrote himself) or listen to him speak without realizing that this is a thoughtful, pragmatic, and prudent man. It gives me comfort just to think that after eight years of George W. Bush we will have a president who has actually read the Federalist Papers.

I'm glad to read this because it confirms what I'd been saying all along: Obama's not even liberal. Beyond even the semantic argument that will come up about Neocons and Neoliberal politics, I'm saying this: America's fallen asleep, it's hand in the bag of Doritos, cigarette still smoldering, "5 minute Abs" DVD playing on the TV... Those in a position to do so have nationalized AIG and are using taxpayer dollars to bail out the scoundrels that have brought down the American economy over the past 20 years - meanwhile teachers are having to pay for their own school supplies (Roper and my sister included).

I was reading today that the American economy is going to need 1 to 2 trillion dollars to get out of the muck it's in now. That's almost as much as the deficit Dubya put us into when he cut taxes and began this unwinable war.

No comments:

Post a Comment